Thursday, April 21, 2011

We got SWAMPED today!!!!!!

LOL! Not literally! We went on a fabulous swamp tour  today - Dr Wagner's Honey Island Swap Tour- on and around the Pearl River at Slidell, 45mins east of New Orleans. It was a fascinating 2.5 hours eco-tour racing along the river, sneaking through the bayou's and sitting peacefully in the swamp and slough's - STALKING swamp wildlife! and appreciating the beautiful flora! We learnt lots about the "swamp" habitat - really interesting. Great outing!!! A must if you visit Louisiana!

Did you know two-thirds of Louisiana is covered in some sort of water!

So, into the swamp we go.........


Dr Wagner's hut and office on the edge of the swamp
The inlet off the Pear River where we boarded the boat
The swamp behind Dr Wagner's office.
Crawling with turtles!
Excuse me! I'm laying my egg!
The turtle infested swamp behind Dr Wagoner's hut
Fishing huts floating on the river
A crawfish trap in the bayou.
Bayou is Indian for slow moving water
Have a close look. What is that camouflaged between the two trees in the middle of the pic?
An alligator!
Meet Big Whooper!
 I'm 1,000 lbs and 15ft long!
I'm 65 years old!
I've been hibernating and have only just wriggled out of the mud in the swamp
to enjoy this spring sunshine. The sunshine is very important to me.
The bumps on my back are for a purpose - as I soak up the sun
they release enzymes which help me to digest my food.
Meet my girlfriend - Yellow Throat
She likes to cuddle me - I like it! See my smile!
It's mating season!
Homes with their entertaining decks along the river
A few Corona's  while watching the alligators swim by!

Want this house on alligator infested river for $1.2 million ?

If the homes have a pool they have to enclose them totally to keep
out the swamp wildlife
Can you spy the wildlife?
A Diamond Python sunning itself!
And another one!
The most venomous snake in the swamp is a Water Moccasin Snake -
we didn't see one!
Fungi growing on an old tree stump

A 700 year old Cypress Tree
These are extremely hardy trees - termite proof and very valuable
for their timber. They are protected and cannot be cut down.
Looks pretty with the Spanish Moss draping over it.
The Moss is on many of the trees in the swamp.

A Blue Crane fishing
After the alligator they are the most dangerous predator in the swamp
Weekenders sit along the river . This one called "Sugar Shack".
There are quite a few along the river and bayous.
They can only be reached by boat.

A swamp waterlily.
The bulbs were dried out and ground for flour by the Indians.
The swamp willows bark was used for aspirin by the Indians.
Willow bark is still used today to make aspirin
A slough - a stagnant part of the swamp
It is still, quiet and the reflections created a beautiful picture
The swamp Water Lilly's had beautiful bright yellow flowers
Nature's art! So beautiful!
We had a visitor!
And another one!
I'm keeping my eye on you!
Thanks - love those fingers!!!
Those jaws snap the frankfurts held out by our guide
Yum! I like those!
I'll get it!!
Can you see the wildlife?
What's on the old tree stump?
Bees make their hives in the holes in the trees in the swamp.
Hence the swamp is called Honey Island Swamp! Logical!



No comments:

Post a Comment